Tuesday 2 December 2008

My favourite time of the year

Gameworld Saunders is coming to the end of it's first season and we are three days away from the start of the first contract expiry period. Many managers who have not had the chance to play the beta will have never experienced one of these events before. I have written previously about how to approach this, but I think it's worthwhile going over the basics again. I also strongly advise any manager to read the relevant elements of the game guide (http://manual.fmlive.co.uk/?q=node/142 - which I wrote during beta).

Firstly, it's a really bad time to try to sell players. Managers are not going to pay over the odds for your players if there are cheaper alternatives available at Acquisition Fee. Equally, it's a pretty daft time to buy players on the auction too - if you can you find better alternatives for cheaper prices.

Secondly, if you are worried about your players being poached (and if they are any good they will be) - sell them before the chaos begins. As soon as you play your last official game, list the players you want to sell. I have three players from my initial squad who are up for renewal who I don't want to protect (because they are not good enough). Two of these guys are decent and will be bid on by someone else. The other player (Alessandro - currently serving a 5 match FA ban) I am hoping someone does bid for! So the first two are going to be listed asap because I can probably get 3 times AF now rather than 1 times AF next week when they leave.

Thirdly, avoid auctions with 20+ bids already made - your chances of winning are slim to none. Find players that nobody else rates; bid big and bid late.

Follow these three rules and you should start next season with more money, better players and a manageable wage bill.

No comments: